Dual wire gantry 3d printer

created by Łukasz Jakóbiec date: 08/06/2015

Łukasz Jakóbiec 08/06/2015 Dual wire gantry 3d printer

As I have come across excelent build by RichRap I have decided to build 3d printer described in his post at youmagine. 

Main goal was to build printer that will: 


be fastbe acuratebe huge :)


As I have alredy build my first extruder now was the time to build printer frame. I have decided to go with 30x30mm aluminium extrusions and welded them together (as this is another new practice exercise for me).

Using precision blocks and right angle the gantry was set and welded

After checking all the angles frame and gantry was TIG welded together and 12mm rails was bolted to the frame. Other axis uses 8mm rods. 

With my small lathe I did the wire spools that will be driven by the steppers.

Type caption for image (optional)


After that first "wiring" was done testing the dual wire gantry principle in real life with motors connected and run by RUMBA board.

Type caption for image (optional)
wiring the spool can be tricky thats why there are two holes on the sides and one long at the top next to the motor axis
Type caption for image (optional)

And the complete one axis with wiring done

Type caption for image (optional)
Type caption for image (optional)



After successful first test I moved on to further assembly the printer

lower frame is still not aligned
Type caption for image (optional)

So after welding the lower part and adding whells with blockers I moved on to alining all the parts. As previously shown right angle to the rescue! :)

More items added, Z axis frame is welded and bolted to the bearings.
Type caption for image (optional)
Type caption for image (optional)

For tightening the X axis I have added small brackets that was rotated in place to make it tight.

Type caption for image (optional)
Type caption for image (optional)

Extruder head mounted with needed fan, additional LED, bed leveling sensor and end switch.

Type caption for image (optional)
Type caption for image (optional)


And this is how it looks for now - I will finish bed soon and first print are going to be exciting calibration issue :)

Type caption for image (optional)
Type caption for image (optional)
Type caption for image (optional)

UPDATE

After several changes printer works - there is some play in X axis so I will be changing spectra line to GT2 belt. The same goes for Z axis. It is simply to long and to heavy for acurate positioning.  This is my post on how the upgrade went and what was changed.

However the printer is working and I uesd it to make some enclosures for my raspberry pi with LCD computer